was under the regimes of Cara kings in 850 A.D. Thereafter (in
1000 A.D. - 1275 A.D.) this place came under the rule of Cholas
with Dharapuram as their Headquarters. Subsequently it came under
the control of Padiars (from 1276 A.D.). Only during this period,
a ruler by name Veerapandian caused the digging of Kalingarayan
Channel. Then the Muslims (Modeen Sulthans) took over the rule
after which Nayaks of Madurai ruled. Then Hyder Ali and Tippu
Sultan had their sway. In 1799 when Tippu fell to the British,
the East Indian Company took over the administration.
Hyder Ali's regime, this town flourished with 300 houses. A population
of 1500, a mud fort, with a garrison of 4000 soldiers surrounded
by coconut groves and fertile lands bounded on the north by River
Cauvery and east by Kalingarayan channel (By Bucchanan 7th and
8th November 1800). But owing to the successive wars of Marathas,
Mysore and British invasions, it become almost deserted and ruined.
However, as peace was restored by the British, the people returned
and settled here. Within a year it began to grow with 400 houses,
and a population of 2000. The garrison withdrew in 1807, and
the ruined fort was levelled as a relief work during the famine
in 1877. The place enclosed within the rampart was occupied by
the houses. About a mile and half east of the town, there is
an old bridge which spans River Cauvery. The wall at "Pechiparai" situated
at the present V.O.C.Park was once celebrated for its "wholesome
and milky water". There are two old temples - one dedicated to
Lord Siva and the other to Lord Vishnu.
root for the name of the Town "ERODE" may be because of the existence
of the two water courses viz., Perumpalayam and Kalingarayan Canal,
(hence Eru Odai, meaning two rivers in Tamil). But there is also
a legend which says that the place apparently derives its name
from the words "Eera Odu" which means "well skulls". According
to the story, Dakshaprajapathi, who had given his daughter in marriage
to Lord Siva, conducted a Yaga. For this Yaga, Lord Siva was not
invited. However, Dakshyayini came to take part in this Yaga much
against the wish of her husband Lord Siva. On coming to Yagakundam,
Dakshyayini was not welcomed by her parents or anyone. She was
vexed and threw herself in the Yagakundam and burned to ashes.
On hearing this, Lord Siva got highly enraged, proceeded to the
sacrificial spot and threw every one present including Brahma.
The skulls and bones were thrown in River Cauvery and remained
wet always. Hence the name "Eera Odu" (wet skull) - Erode.